Installing the Prolific PL-2303 driver and the “The device cannot be started (code 10)” was very much a heartacha and virually impossible.
Apparently the driver from http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31 does work.
However I think the installer program corrupts SER2PL.SYS, the very driver that is needed. Here’s my workaround.
Download from Prolific http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31
And from http://sysfiles-download.com/sysindex/ser2pl.sys.html#edown
1. Download ser2pl.sys
2. Don’t worry about the other 3 or 4 files that come with it ALL YOU NEED IS SER2PL.SYS
Ok let’s get started,
* REMEMBER WHERE YOU EXTRACTED ALL THE FILES TO INCLUDING SER2PL.SYS
* After all downloads and extractions from Zip, run the prolific driver installer.
* Run the PL2303 remover program, all this does is remove the SER2PL.SYS file from your system.
Let’s do it:
Go to your device manager (your Prolific USB to Serial cable plugged in)
* XP> control panel > System> Hardware tab>Device Manager. Click on “ports (com & LPT)
* Or however you know how to get there!
You should see the “prolific” device, “Prolific USB to Serial COM Port (com#)” If you don’t it’s not plugged in!
* right click and select “update driver”
* select “install from a list, or specific place(advanced)
* On the next menu select the radio button “search for the best driver in these locations”
* Deselect the tick box for “search for removable media”
* Select the tick box for “Include this location in the search”
* Browse to the folder where you extracted and saved the SER2PL.SYS file.
* Press next and install the driver.
73’s and good luck